THE South African government has resolved to extend work permits for nearly 200 000 Zimbabwe Special Permit (ZSP) holders working in the neighbouring country beyond December 31, media reports have revealed.
Issued in 2014, the permits were scheduled to expire on December 31 this year.
Zimbabweans working in South Africa under the special dispensation have been having sleepless nights after the neighbouring country had earlier indicated it would not renew them.
Zimbabwe’s Consul General in South Africa Mr Batiraishe Mukonoweshuro said the country’s Embassy will meet their South African counterparts to discuss the latest development.
he South African Press yesterday reported that the country’s cabinet approved the extensions under yet to be unveiled conditions.
South Africa’s Minister of Communications Ms Ayanda Dlodlo reportedly told the media that their cabinet has given the green light to the new Home Affairs Minister Professor Hlengiwe Mkhize to start offering work permits to Zimbabweans.
Econet Wireless and the Zimbabwe National Road Administration (Zinara) have entered into a partnership which will enable EcoCash users to pay tollgate fees using the platform.
The new system will be available at 20 tollgates across Zimbabwe before being rolled out country wide.
Econet Wireless Zimbabwe chief executive officer Douglas Mboweni said the service would help travelling motorists to experience the convenience of using EcoCash while providing Zinara with a safe, secure and convenient revenue collection method.
“The state of the art value proposition is not the ordinary Pay Merchant, but a specific solution unique to Zinara, which allows users to link a mobile phone wallet with a registered vehicle for auto-detection and instant access at the tollgate,” she said.
“The auto detection of the pre-loaded toll wallet at toll gate offers complete disruption to the manual payment method of cash and cards, saving motorists queuing time with a payment experience of under 10 seconds granting express toll access to motorists.”
Currently tollgate fees are pegged at $2 for light vehicles and $3 for minibuses whilst buses, heavy vehicles and haulage trucks pay $4, $5 and $10 respectively.
AUDITOR - General Mildred Chiri has once again exposed bad corporate governance by the government, its parastatals and local authorities in a move that prejudiced the country of several millions of dollars last year.
The reports, released yesterday, highlighted some glaring nefarious activities through the non-maintenance of accounting records, fraudulent activities, unsupported expenditure, use of government resources as collateral security, among others, that kept on bleeding the already struggling government.
“Some ministries did not maintain proper accounting and assets records such as cash books and ledgers to record revenue and expenditure, immovable property registers, motor vehicle registers, fuel and other assets registers,” Chiri said in her summary.
She said because of weak internal controls coupled with the unqualified people handling finances, the government lost a total of $222 791 as a result of fraudulent activities.
Chiri also raised concern over poor budgetary systems that resulted in the government accruing excess expenditure of $61 695 986. She also raised concern over blatant violation of procurement regulations.
“Revenue leakages remain a challenge and require receivers of revenue to put in place controls to guard against the leakages. If these are not controlled, government may not be able to ensure equitable distribution of resources.”
PRIMARY and Secondary Education minister Lazarus Dokora has come under fire from teachers’ unions for reportedly “resorting to military tactics” in dealing with educators.
Progressive Teachers’ Union of Zimbabwe (PTUZ) secretary-general Raymond Majongwe said Dokora had threatened to fire school heads who were not delivering quality results.
“The idea of threats, attacks, blunders and orders is not synonymous with education. It is found in the military and Dokora wants to bring this into the education sector. We will not accept it. Teachers are working under atrocious conditions with children suffering, especially this winter and we have a minister who is preoccupied with sabre-rattling,” Majongwe told NewsDay.
Recently, Dokora issued a stark warning to non-performers and teachers with little appreciation of the new curriculum. Majongwe’s sentiments were echoed by Zimbabwe Teachers’ Union spokesperson Tapson Nganunu-Sibanda, who urged a sober approach to issues affecting education.
Zimbabwe Rural Teachers’ Union leader Obert Masaraure was more scathing in his response to Dokora.
“Rule by force is the preserve of the inept who have no skills to motivate their subordinates boldly towards goal attainment. Dokora has monumentally failed and is tragically transforming our education system into a circus,” Masaraure said. “The only person who should be fired for incompetence is Dokora because the same teachers he is accusing of failing performed well under successive ministers before him.”
Young brother to the late notorious robber and murderer Edmund Edgar Masendeke kidnapped a police officer and robbed him of his vehicle before embarking on a robbing spree around the country.
Andrew Masendeke and his accomplices are now facing several charges, including robbery and car- jacking. His accomplices were Tapiwa Chimuti (29), Anyway Madala (27) and Simbarashe Machiritsa (40) of Ascot Infill high-density suburb in Gweru.
Chimuti was sentenced to 91 years, Madala 76 and Machiritsa 21 when they appeared in court. The other two accomplices, Matrimony Nyathi and Sydney Mangisi, are on the run.
They were linked to armed robbery cases committed in Bulawayo, Zvishavane, Gweru, Shurugwi, Kwekwe and Kadoma. Masendeke and the trio terrorised miners and business people in the Midlands and Bulawayo.
They got away with $25 000, a vehicle and six rifles. Police recovered the vehicle and guns which were used during the robberies. Masendeke, of Mukarati village under Chief Mukaro in Gutu, appeared before Gweru Provincial Magistrate Mrs Phathekhile Msipa yesterday facing seven counts of robbery, carjacking and kidnapping. He was not asked to plead and was remanded in custody to today
The country’s first kidney transplant unit is nearing completion with the technical team making last installations, a senior official has said.
Chitungwiza Central Hospital chief executive officer Dr Obadiah Moyo said the Laminar Air-flow — equipment that reduces the rate of infection in theatres — will be the last touch to the historic unit.
“We are moving at the correct speed because with the transplantation you have to be absolutely perfect in whatever you do. We want to create a full proof system so that we do not have any problems of patients coming back,” said Dr Moyo.
Dr Moyo said once the system starts functioning, kidney patients will no longer seek medical attention abroad. “We want to be able to stop people from going to India. “So the team will come here, we book all the patients locally and they carry out the transplant. We will also have post-operative management teams, doctors who will stay with the patients the same period that they would do in India.
THE country could be losing millions of dollars through misuse of retained funds by various Government departments such as the police and the Registrar General’s Office, Parliament’s Budget office has said.
The office has recommended that the Government should revert to the old system where all revenue is deposited into the Consolidated Revenue Fund.
The Budget office said Government could have realised up to $1 billion in fines and user charges last year alone but these did not reach the Consolidated Revenue Fund.
“Zimbabwe could be losing millions of dollars through misuse of retained funds by various Government departments who are retaining 100 percent of the funds they are collecting.
The Auditor General has raised a red flag over lack of transparency and accountability with regards to most of these statutory and retention funds,” said the office in its June analysis of the Retention Fund.
Liberation war hero and musician Cde Dickson Chingaira known as “Cde Chinx” who died last Friday will be buried today at Glen Forest cemetery in Harare.
Cde Chinx who succumbed to cancer a week ago. He was 61.
Family spokesperson Mr Dick Chingaira (Junior), yesterday said the decision to bury the musician at Glen Forest cemetery was in consultation with Government.
“After consultations with the State, we decided to bury him at Glen Forest and we are on the same page with the State,” he said.
A PASTOR from a Zion church in Gwanda allegedly beat his wife to death with a hoe handle when she denied him sex.
Misheck Ncube (54) immediately handed himself over to police in Gwanda when he realised Ms Nokuthula Khumalo (44) had stopped breathing following the attack after midnight on Wednesday.
The incident occurred at Nsimbi Village under Chief Nhlamba in the Guyu area.
Ncube allegedly told police he lost his temper because his wife denied him his conjugal rights when he desperately needed to be intimate with her.
He is said to have told officers he struck his wife twice on the face with the hoe handle resulting in her death.
A source close to the couple said Ncube flew into a rage when Ms Khumalo continuously told him she was not feeling well and could not have sex.
A SENIOR policeman based at Marlborough Police Station has been fingered as the brains behind the processing of counterfeit Admission of Guilt deposit fine books (ZJ69) that are being used by “unscrupulous” cops manning roadblocks. This has raised fears that unsuspecting motorists are being issued with fake receipts, with the police officers pocketing the money.
Government has directed that the roadblocks be reduced to four per province and the officers deployed elsewhere. The case came to light after two police constables were arrested in Marlborough recently manning a roadblock with a fake ZJ69 book and implicated Inspector Victor Jaja.
Insp Jaja is responsible for administration at the police station. The two constables were arrested by two senior police officers based at Marlborough Police Station on March 3 following a tip-off and they reportedly told the officers that they had been given the fake receipt book by Insp Jaja.
It is reported that the two constables, whose case is still pending before the courts, however, later changed their statements and alleged that they were given the receipt book by the officer-in-charge.
Although chief police spokesperson Senior Assistant Commissioner Charity Charamba could not be reached for comment yesterday, sources close to the matter confirmed that Insp Jaja was under investigation.
LOW cost airline fastjet Zimbabwe has increased the number of flights on its routes between Harare and Johannesburg and launched a fifth seasonal flight from Harare to Victoria Falls.
In a statement, the airline’s regional marketing executive Ms Faith Chaitezvi said this was in response to strong passenger demand.
On its route between Harare and Johannesburg, fastjet Zimbabwe will now offer up to three daily return flights with effect from July 1, 2017.
She said tickets for the additional flights to and from Harare were already on sale, with one-way fares to Johannesburg starting from $100, and fares to Victoria Falls starting from $49.50, including taxes and airport charges.
fastjet recently resolved to quote all-inclusive fares on its Zimbabwean routes and suggests that travellers book 21 days in advance of their intended departure date to take advantage of its best priced, all-inclusive fares.
TWO Mangwe villagers who were part of a 12-men gang that fatally assaulted two border jumpers for stealing maize cobs in their fields have been arrested after being on the run for nine years.
Milton Mayisa (26) and Butinyana Dube (39) of Nxele Village appeared separately before Plumtree magistrate, Mr Taurai Manwere facing murder charges. The two are facing accusations of killing Benedict Ncube who was aged 26 and Xolisani Sibanda who was aged 19 in February 2008. The two suspects were remanded in custody to July 4.
Seven other accomplices from the same village were in February sentenced to five years in jail after they were convicted of culpable homicide by Bulawayo High Court judge Justice Maxwell Takuva.
Prosecuting, Mr Elisha Mazorodze said on February 25 in 2008 at around 1PM, Mayisa and Dube teamed up with other villagers and attacked Ncube and Sibanda resulting in the two men sustaining injuries that led to their death.
“Mayisa and Dube together with other villagers attacked the two men with knobkerries and switches until they lost consciousness. Ncube and Sibanda died at Plumtree District Hospital due to injuries sustained during the attack,” he said.