A PASTOR from a Zion church in Gwanda allegedly beat his wife to death with a hoe handle when she denied him sex.
Misheck Ncube (54) immediately handed himself over to police in Gwanda when he realised Ms Nokuthula Khumalo (44) had stopped breathing following the attack after midnight on Wednesday.
The incident occurred at Nsimbi Village under Chief Nhlamba in the Guyu area.
Ncube allegedly told police he lost his temper because his wife denied him his conjugal rights when he desperately needed to be intimate with her.
He is said to have told officers he struck his wife twice on the face with the hoe handle resulting in her death.
A source close to the couple said Ncube flew into a rage when Ms Khumalo continuously told him she was not feeling well and could not have sex.
A SENIOR policeman based at Marlborough Police Station has been fingered as the brains behind the processing of counterfeit Admission of Guilt deposit fine books (ZJ69) that are being used by “unscrupulous” cops manning roadblocks. This has raised fears that unsuspecting motorists are being issued with fake receipts, with the police officers pocketing the money.
Government has directed that the roadblocks be reduced to four per province and the officers deployed elsewhere. The case came to light after two police constables were arrested in Marlborough recently manning a roadblock with a fake ZJ69 book and implicated Inspector Victor Jaja.
Insp Jaja is responsible for administration at the police station. The two constables were arrested by two senior police officers based at Marlborough Police Station on March 3 following a tip-off and they reportedly told the officers that they had been given the fake receipt book by Insp Jaja.
It is reported that the two constables, whose case is still pending before the courts, however, later changed their statements and alleged that they were given the receipt book by the officer-in-charge.
Although chief police spokesperson Senior Assistant Commissioner Charity Charamba could not be reached for comment yesterday, sources close to the matter confirmed that Insp Jaja was under investigation.
THE National University of Science and Technology (Nust) and the Harare Institute of Technology (HIT) allegedly suffered cyber attacks yesterday with the hackers demanding more than $6 billion to restore information to their websites. HIT public relations officer Mr Tinashe Mutema confirmed the attack on the institution’s website.
Nust director of Information and publicity Mr Felix Moyo maintained there had been no attack but students and lecturers insisted they could not access the website yesterday.
Mr Mutema said the hackers demanded a ransom of 1 000 Bitcoins, a virtual currency from anyone who attempted to log onto the website.
The institution has 2 000 students and more than 400 members of staff. One Bitcoin is worth $2 667 online. The hackers may have been targeting to get about $6,4 billion.
“I can confirm that we were attacked yesterday at around 4:30AM. Social media is however blowing the whole matter out of proportion. The attackers hacked into our website. They had temporary control of the servers hosting our website and emails. We pulled our systems from the internet until we managed to sort out the matter today (yesterday),” said Mr Mutema.
He said the institution had since engaged the police who are carrying out investigations.
CLOTHING retail chain Edgars Stores says the rapid increase in unregulated commerce in the country is hurting its operations as it is made to compete with businesses that do not pay tax.
Edgars — a local unit of South Africa’s Edcon — is caught up in a vicious price war with the informal sector, which sources most of its used apparel from China, South Africa, Botswana and Tanzania.
The group’s managing director, Linda Masterson, said there was a need for Government to control importation of cheap used clothing into the country.
“It [importation of second-hand clothing] is really a very big problem. Obviously, that comes back to corruption in our country that we have got these second-hand clothes that are on our streets,” Masterson said.
“It means businesses like ourselves that pay tax are being marginalised and pushed aside by the businesses that do not pay tax.
Zimbabwe banned the importation of used clothes from September 1, 2015 but Industry and Commerce Minister, Dr Mike Bimha, said in January this year that the ban was unenforceable because the local industry had no capacity to meet demand.
LOW cost airline fastjet Zimbabwe has increased the number of flights on its routes between Harare and Johannesburg and launched a fifth seasonal flight from Harare to Victoria Falls.
In a statement, the airline’s regional marketing executive Ms Faith Chaitezvi said this was in response to strong passenger demand.
On its route between Harare and Johannesburg, fastjet Zimbabwe will now offer up to three daily return flights with effect from July 1, 2017.
She said tickets for the additional flights to and from Harare were already on sale, with one-way fares to Johannesburg starting from $100, and fares to Victoria Falls starting from $49.50, including taxes and airport charges.
fastjet recently resolved to quote all-inclusive fares on its Zimbabwean routes and suggests that travellers book 21 days in advance of their intended departure date to take advantage of its best priced, all-inclusive fares.
ZIMBABWE recorded a 30 percent jump in gold deliveries in May to about two tonnes compared to 1.5 tonnes in April, data from Fidelity Printers and Refiners show.
Latest statistics from Fidelity Printers, the sole gold buyer since 2015, show that in May primary producers and small-scale miners had a combined delivery of 1 920.3 kilogrammes, the highest monthly output so far this year.
Of that figure, deliveries by primary producers were at 1 045.3 kg while small-scale miners delivered 875.9 kg.
In January, primary producers and small-scale miners had a combined total of 1 636.5 kg, while in February deliveries declined to 1 454.9 kg.
In March gold deliveries to Fidelity rose to 1 545.4 kg before receding to 1 489.3 kg in April.
The miners, in the first quarter of the year produced a combined total of 4 636.8 kg while statistics from the country’s sole gold buyer show that 3 409.7 kg have so far been delivered in the second quarter.
TWO Mangwe villagers who were part of a 12-men gang that fatally assaulted two border jumpers for stealing maize cobs in their fields have been arrested after being on the run for nine years.
Milton Mayisa (26) and Butinyana Dube (39) of Nxele Village appeared separately before Plumtree magistrate, Mr Taurai Manwere facing murder charges. The two are facing accusations of killing Benedict Ncube who was aged 26 and Xolisani Sibanda who was aged 19 in February 2008. The two suspects were remanded in custody to July 4.
Seven other accomplices from the same village were in February sentenced to five years in jail after they were convicted of culpable homicide by Bulawayo High Court judge Justice Maxwell Takuva.
Prosecuting, Mr Elisha Mazorodze said on February 25 in 2008 at around 1PM, Mayisa and Dube teamed up with other villagers and attacked Ncube and Sibanda resulting in the two men sustaining injuries that led to their death.
“Mayisa and Dube together with other villagers attacked the two men with knobkerries and switches until they lost consciousness. Ncube and Sibanda died at Plumtree District Hospital due to injuries sustained during the attack,” he said.
TWO men from Bulawayo have been arrested for allegedly killing a motorist who almost ran over one of them near Lobengula Primary School in Mzilikazi suburb.
Chikomborero Zhakata almost knocked down Brian Chibeke (17) of Makokoba suburb with his Honda Fit last month when he was driving towards Lobengula Primary School at around 8PM.
A court heard that Zhakata stopped his car and tried to apologise to Chibeke. This did not go down well with Chibeke who teamed up with his friend Blessing Nyathi (32) and brutally attacked him.
Nyathi and Chibeke allegedly savagely punched Zhakata in the face before smashing his car windscreen.
The driver sustained serious injuries and was rushed to Mpilo Central Hospital where he was admitted for almost a month and died in the Intensive Care Unit on Saturday last week. Nyathi and Chibeke appeared before magistrate Mr Tinashe Tashaya facing a charge of murder.
Cabinet has approved the $300 million Special Programme on Livestock Production that is expected to run for between three and five years.
Livestock farmers from all sectors — communal to A2 and institutions including churches, Prisons and Police farms across the country are expected to benefit. A2 farmers are however expected to anchor the programme.
The programme will cover all aspects of livestock including beef cattle, dairy cows, pigs, sheep, goats, fish, wildlife and small stock such as poultry and rabbits.
The fund will also go towards foot and mouth disease fences, resuscitation and establishment of dip tanks, watering points and livestock infrastructure.
Agriculture, Mechanisation and Irrigation Development Minister Dr Joseph Made said yesterday that the programme will boost crop production for stockfeeds, resuscitating the leather industry, and production of tally for soap.
It is also expected to boost production of blood and bone meal which the country is importing. “Cabinet has approved the programme submitted by the committee on Food Security and Nutrition chaired by vice President Emmerson Mnangagwa.
The Zanu-PF Presidium will make a determination on the fate of national political commissar Cde Saviour Kasukuwere following yesterday’s Politburo meeting which discussed a report submitted by the ad-hoc probe committee.
Speaking after the extra ordinary meeting in Harare, Zanu-PF spokesperson, Cde Simon Khaya Moyo, said Cde Kasukuwere’s matter was now in the hands of the party’s Presidium which comprises President Mugabe and his two deputies Cde Emmerson Mnangagwa and Phelekezela Mphoko.
Cde Kasukuwere is accused of setting parallel structures in a bid to topple President Mugabe, fanning factionalism, corruption and abuse of office.
Said Cde Khaya Moyo:
“The report by the ad-hoc probe committee chaired by Cde Jacob Mudenda on the Mashonaland Central province petition was fully read to members of the Politburo page by page. There was extensive discussion of the report by members of the Politburo. The Presidium will digest the discussions and make the necessary pronouncement on the matter later.”
HARARE residents have pleaded with the government to shelve plans to introduce urban tollgates, saying the economic environment is not conducive to have motorists pay more levies.
Combined Harare Residents’ Association chairperson, Simbarashe Moyo said the push by Local Government minister Saviour Kasukuwere to urgently introduce tollgates in Harare would be met with resistance.
“We are totally against this idea of tollgates in town. It’s heartless to force residents to pay more when already we are burdened like this. We have realised that the government has a tendency of demanding money from broke residents whenever it seeks to funds its nefarious activities,” Moyo said.
Kasukuwere on Monday said Harare City Council must introduce urban tollgates as a matter of urgency in order to raise funds to refurbish the dilapidated road infrastructure, which is exposing motorists to accidents.
The Residents’ Forum, an umbrella body representing ratepayers, said the government should first account for money the Zimbabwe National Roads Authority (Zinara) collects from vehicle licences and highway tollgates so that citizens could see how transparent the State has been.
THE Government yesterday said it is only standard roadblocks that will be reduced to only four per province but the numerous spot checks by police within cities and towns will remain in place, dampening celebrations by motorists and public transport operators who thought they would now get a reprieve from harassment by law enforcement agents.
A standard roadblock has a Police Ahead sign, drums and flashing lights.
Home Affairs deputy Minister Cde Obedingwa Mguni said it is the standard roadblocks that have been reduced to four per province and what motorists called roadblocks along routes leading to city centres or growth points were in fact spot checks.
Giving oral evidence before a Parliamentary Portfolio committee on Transport and Infrastructural Development in Harare on Monday, the Minister of Home Affairs Dr Ignatius Chombo, who was accompanied by his deputy Cde Mguni, said as from next week the police would unveil at least four standard roadblocks per province.