STATE-owned mobile telecommunications operator NetOne says it would start recruiting 2 000 workers in Bulawayo this month before moving to other Matabeleland provinces.
The company has pledged to create up to 20 000 jobs as part of its business growth this year in line with the empowerment thrust under Zim-Asset.
Under the initiative 2 000 jobs will be created in each of the country’s 10 provinces as NetOne moves to increase its market share.
Speaking on the sidelines of the 2017 commemoration of the World Telecommunication and Information Society Day at Dingimuzi Stadium in Plumtree on Friday, NetOne chief operations officer Mr Clever Isaya said the recruitment of 2 000 workers in Bulawayo would start this month.
NetOne has recruited 400 brand ambassadors in Harare to kick start the “Basa Sebasa Project”, which is set to employ about 20 000 young people who will be selling the company’s products countrywide.
The youths will target current and new subscribers. Last Friday, NetOne launched the project in Highfield and Budiriro.
In an interview on the sidelines of a tour of Market Square Bus Terminus in Harare last week, NetOne acting chief executive officer Mr Brian Mutandiro said they would train young Zimbabweans and equip them with resources to enable them sell the company’s products and educate the public.
Mr Mutandiro said they will continue to increase the number of brand ambassadors and expand to other provinces. “We started with 400 brand ambassadors and we want to increase that number to 20 000 eventually and the project will spread to all the provinces of Zimbabwe,” he said.
Mobile phone operator NetOne yesterday recruited more than 400 people as part of its ambitious project to create 20 000 jobs countrywide.
The employees mainly youths, were dispatched to Highfield where they were selling NetOne lines, registering customers and replacing lines, among other duties.
In an interview, NetOne acting chief executive officer Mr Brian Mutandiro, said he was happy that the first batch had started work.
“We are happy the first batch has started work and I am impressed by the aggressiveness of these brand ambassadors. The future is orange and we will paint the whole country orange.
“Young men and women you see here will be educating people on the affordable and efficient products we have. It is high time Zimbabweans are aware of their right to be able to access affordable communicational solutions,” he said.
One of the brand ambassadors Miss Rudo Chifamba, said she was very happy to be employed as many people of her age were still unemployed.
STATE-OWNED mobile telecommunications firm, NetOne is set to unleash 20 new products by the end of this week.
NetOne acting chief executive officer Mr Brian Mutandiro told Business Chronicle during the company’s ZITF cocktail reception that the Postal and Telecommunications Regulatory Authority of Zimbabwe (Potraz) had already approved the products.
“We are happy to announce that we have a variety of new exciting products for our customers. Potraz has already approved them and by the end of the week we would have started giving them out to the people.
“Unfortunately, I can’t pre-empt what they are about because of competition,” said Mr Mutandiro.
He said the firm was working on recruiting 20 000 brand ambassadors across the country to disseminate information on the new products.
TELECOMMUNICATIONS operators have agreed to share infrastructure as this promotes the national interest, cost cutting and reduces duplication, Information, Communication Technology, Postal and Courier Services Deputy Minister, Dr Win Mlambo has said.
“We’re deadly serious about doing the correct thing in the country. Starting with approval, the concept has been approved. We spoke to stakeholders and network operators who have anonymously agreed that it’s going to be done and it’s the correct way to do.
“It has been done elsewhere in the world to cut costs, avoid duplication and speed up roll out of networks,” said Dr Mlambo.
He said the ministry was still dealing with legal hurdles, which will show how the process will be undertaken. The Deputy Minister said the public and the private sector should know that the process will take time as necessary procedures have to be followed.
FORMER NetOne chief executive Reward Kangai’s bid to block the recruitment of his successor following his unceremonious exit from the state-owned mobile phone operator last year suffered a major blow after the High Court reserved judgement on his urgent chamber application filed last Friday.
He was also challenging the legality of the termination of his employment contractKangai was sent on forced leave in March 2016 after the company’s board sanctioned a forensic audit into the affairs of the country’s second largest mobile phone operator.
He was suspended from work without pay and benefits on October 3 after an external auditor PriceWaterhouseCoopers completed a board-sanctioned probe into the goings-on at the mobile phone operator.
However, Justice Priscilla Chigumba on Wednesday reserved judgement on the matter.
In his urgent chamber application, Kangai said he was legally NetOne’s CE despite being forced out after NetOne decided to buy him out of his contract which was due to expire in June 2017. The closing date for the NetOne vacancy notice is May 5.
“I aver that I am still the respondent’s (NetOne Cellular Pvt Ltd) incumbent chief executive officer as respondent’s purported termination of my contract of employment is unlawful and a nullity. Moreover, the legality of the respondent’s actions is still to be determined by a court of competent jurisdictions under the applications aforementioned,” Kangai averred through his lawyers Tendai Biti Law.
Government yesterday commissioned a fleet of 12 vehicles worth $500 000 availed by NetOne to service base stations in remote areas and to improve customer care service in such places.
The fleet comprises of six single cab Ford Rangers, four defenders and two Isuzu KB 250 single cabs. Speaking after commissioning the vehicles in Harare yesterday, Information Communication Technology, Postal and Courier Services Minister Supa Mandiwanzira said the vehicles would enable easy accessibility to different parts of the country.
“You have invested in this significant fleet that will help you not only reach to places that are difficult to reach, but obviously with these kind of vehicles you can now access many different terrains,” he said
STATE-OWNED telecoms operator, NetOne is looking for a new chief executive officer following the dismissal of Reward Kangai last year on allegations of corruption.
Kangai was initially suspended and the company later terminated his contract. Brian Mutandiro has been acting CEO since then.
In a vacancy notice published on Sunday, NetOne said the incumbent will report to the board of directors and will lead, in conjunction with the board, the development of the company’s strategy to maximise shareholder value and enhance the positioning of the company.
The Postal and Telecommunications Authority of Zimbabwe says it will not tolerate mobile network company promotions that exhibit tendencies of predatory pricing.
“Predatory pricing”, the telecommunications regulator said, refers to the act of setting prices low in an attempt to eliminate competition.
This comes after the industry regulator came up with stringent guidelines for the running of promotions by telecoms operators this year. According to Potraz, the new guidelines took effect from March 21, 2017. Potraz said the guidelines, among others, are meant to promote ethical conduct, standards, minimum requirements and protect consumers.
public.co.zw is Zimbabwe online notice board, we look all over the internet for zimbabwe latest news and interesting information that affects our everyday life and pin them here.An Elitepages Project