Latest News Updates

SOME vendors have taken the Harare City Council to the Civil Court after municipal cops raided and confiscated their wares which they never returned upon demand. The wares were valued at $3 460.

Tawanda Maziya, Lovemore Chitongo and Taurai Dzambi issued summons to council on Friday last week. Maziya is demanding $1 500, Chitongo $1 090 and Dzambi $870 in compensation from council.

Their goods were confiscated on January 24 during routine raids by council. The trio was arrested and taken to the municipal police headquarters where their wares were recorded.

They were told to return on February 10 for collection. However, on the said date, the goods were not released resulting in the vendors seeking legal action. 

In a lawsuit filed by the Zimbabwe Lawyers for Human Rights dated June 9, the trio cited Chief Superintendent Mawoyo and City of Harare Municipality (represented by the Acting Town Clerk) as the first and second defendants.

The wares included shoes and shirts. The vendors argue that the city’s failure to release their wares violated their rights.

  • - herald
  • HARARE City Council has scrapped US$8.5 million in fixed water charges in nine suburbs faced with erratic supplies.

    The local authority resolved to do away with the fixed water charges in April and this will see each household in the high density residential areas having at least US$130 scrapped off its account. Those in the low density areas will each have US$400 deducted.

    Water fixed charges in high density areas are pegged at US$4 while the low density and commercial sector US$9 and US$50, respectively.  The affected suburbs include Mt Pleasant Heights, Msasa Park, Mabvuku, Tafara, Greendale, Mandara, Glenlorne, Mandara, Kambanji and Greystone Park.

    The council resolution states that the write off will cover the period between 2009 and 2013. Harare city acting corporate communications manager, Mr Michael Chideme said, “We have scrapped US$ 8.5 million of fixed water charges, with the resolution being implemented in retrospect.” Environmental Management Committee chair councillor Herbert Gomba said council was planning to extend the period from 2013 to date.

  • - sundaymail
  • The High Court has upheld previous rulings that it is illegal for Harare City Council to disconnect water supplies to defaulting businesses and residents without a court order. The city, however, says it is going to appeal against the decision at the Supreme Court.

    Last year the city got a reprieve after a High Court judge gave it the green light to disconnect water for defaulting residents without a court order provided it follows provisions of the Harare (Water) By-laws S.164/1913, which require that council gives 24 hours’ notice to affected parties before disconnections.

    The High Court, however, said where the bill was genuinely disputed, there should be recourse at the courts before council disconnected the water supply to the consumer.

    The court made the ruling in a case in which Harare lawyer Mr Tinofara Hove who took Harare City Council to the High Court seeking to stop the city from disconnecting his water supplies without a court order after accruing an $18 600 water bill.

  • - herald
  • Former Harare town clerk Tendai Mahachi (61), who is accused of influencing the City of Harare to part with $800 000 to a bogus parking equipment manufacturer, was yesterday brought to court on fraud allegations.

    Mahachi was granted $200 bail by Harare magistrate Josephine Sande, who remanded him to May 31.

    Mahachi was granted $200 bail by Harare magistrate Josephine Sande, who remanded him to May 31.

    As part of his bail conditions, Mahachi was ordered to report once every Friday at CID Serious Fraud, to surrender his passport with the clerk of court, not to interfere with State witnesses and to reside at his given address.

  • - newsday
  • The Zimbabwe National Road Administration has released $1,7 million in emergency road funds to Harare City Council for the rehabilitation of the city’s roads, which were recently declared a state of disaster. Harare is expecting at least $15 million for its 2017 allocation considering the state of the city’s roads.

    According to the recent minutes of the Environmental Management Committee, councillors noted that Zinara had disbursed $1,7 million in 2016 and council was owed road and maintenance grants by Zinara dating back to 2015, which the road authority had promised to pay.

    Last year, Zinara announced that it had allocated $1,2 million for road maintenance, but it is still to release the funds. “The committee further noted that the funds were inadequate for the repair or maintenance of the 7 000km of roads, drains, public lighting, traffic signals and other street furniture,” read the minutes.

  • - herald
  • About

    public.co.zw is Zimbabwe online notice board, we look all over the internet for zimbabwe latest news and interesting information that affects our everyday life and pin them here.

    An Elitepages Project