Latest News Updates

SOME vendors have taken the Harare City Council to the Civil Court after municipal cops raided and confiscated their wares which they never returned upon demand. The wares were valued at $3 460.

Tawanda Maziya, Lovemore Chitongo and Taurai Dzambi issued summons to council on Friday last week. Maziya is demanding $1 500, Chitongo $1 090 and Dzambi $870 in compensation from council.

Their goods were confiscated on January 24 during routine raids by council. The trio was arrested and taken to the municipal police headquarters where their wares were recorded.

They were told to return on February 10 for collection. However, on the said date, the goods were not released resulting in the vendors seeking legal action. 

In a lawsuit filed by the Zimbabwe Lawyers for Human Rights dated June 9, the trio cited Chief Superintendent Mawoyo and City of Harare Municipality (represented by the Acting Town Clerk) as the first and second defendants.

The wares included shoes and shirts. The vendors argue that the city’s failure to release their wares violated their rights.

  • - herald
  • HIGH school boys are flocking to prostitutes were they use their allowances to pay for sex.

    Two sex workers, Paida and Titha, revealed in an interview with a local online television channel ZimdiTV that they did not care about a person’s age but only the money offered.

    “Hakuna dhibhi remhuru... the school boys are the ones who have cash these days. When they go to school, their pockets will be full,” Paida said.

    “They do come to us but not wearing uniforms, some are even walking around with clothes in their bags because it’s a crime to engage with school children and we know it. So if they are in their home clothes, we do not ask them their age, why would I ask? I only want your money.”

    As the economy bites, the sex workers say they are now charging as low as $1 per day.

  • - weekendpost
  • PRE-commencement works on the $1 billion Beitbridge-Harare highway dualisation project have begun while actual construction of the road is expected to start within a month, Transport and Infrastructural Development Minister Dr Joram Gumbo has said.

    There are reports that the company contracted to dualise the highway, Geiger International of Austria, has agreed terms with a local financial institution for the handling of its funds.

    The Austrian company was contracted by Government to carry out the project under a 25-year build-operate-transfer (BOT) model at a cost of $998 million.

    Dr Gumbo yesterday said the contractor was busy with pre-commencement works following a ground breaking ceremony for the project by President Mugabe two weeks ago.

    “They are busy on the project, setting up camping areas which will house workers as well as their equipment,” he said.

  • - chronicle
  • HARARE City Council has scrapped US$8.5 million in fixed water charges in nine suburbs faced with erratic supplies.

    The local authority resolved to do away with the fixed water charges in April and this will see each household in the high density residential areas having at least US$130 scrapped off its account. Those in the low density areas will each have US$400 deducted.

    Water fixed charges in high density areas are pegged at US$4 while the low density and commercial sector US$9 and US$50, respectively.  The affected suburbs include Mt Pleasant Heights, Msasa Park, Mabvuku, Tafara, Greendale, Mandara, Glenlorne, Mandara, Kambanji and Greystone Park.

    The council resolution states that the write off will cover the period between 2009 and 2013. Harare city acting corporate communications manager, Mr Michael Chideme said, “We have scrapped US$ 8.5 million of fixed water charges, with the resolution being implemented in retrospect.” Environmental Management Committee chair councillor Herbert Gomba said council was planning to extend the period from 2013 to date.

  • - sundaymail
  • Mbare Police Dog Section based at Waterfalls Police Station have arrested five armed robbers and recovered knives, knobkerries and axes that were used to attack residents in the suburb at night.

    Police said the five were robbing people along Northway and Ceres Roads in Waterfalls. National chief police spokesperson Senior Assistant Commissioner Charity Charamba, confirmed the arrests.

    In a statement, she identified the robbers as Victor Mubaiwa (38) of number 20 Overspill Epworth, Norman Muchemwa (38) of number 11B Matererini Flats Mbare, Bernard Kurira (34) of number 8B Matererini Flats, Moffat Phiri (34) and Joshua Mutizirwa (38) of block 5A Matererini Flats.

    Police instituted investigations, which led to the recovery of weapons such as knobkerries, chisel, four okapi knives and two Samsung galaxy cellphones.

    Snr Asst Comm Charamba urged members of the public who may have fallen prey to the suspects to proceed to ZRP Waterfalls and identify their belongings.

    Six other armed robbers appeared in court on Monday, where it was revealed they killed four people and left eight others seriously injured in Hatcliffe and Kuwadzana in Harare and in Ruwa during their reign of terror.

  • - herald
  • The High Court has upheld previous rulings that it is illegal for Harare City Council to disconnect water supplies to defaulting businesses and residents without a court order. The city, however, says it is going to appeal against the decision at the Supreme Court.

    Last year the city got a reprieve after a High Court judge gave it the green light to disconnect water for defaulting residents without a court order provided it follows provisions of the Harare (Water) By-laws S.164/1913, which require that council gives 24 hours’ notice to affected parties before disconnections.

    The High Court, however, said where the bill was genuinely disputed, there should be recourse at the courts before council disconnected the water supply to the consumer.

    The court made the ruling in a case in which Harare lawyer Mr Tinofara Hove who took Harare City Council to the High Court seeking to stop the city from disconnecting his water supplies without a court order after accruing an $18 600 water bill.

  • - herald
  • Harare City Council has resolved to engage 450 general workers on a three-month contract basis to assist in repairing damaged roads under the Government-supported Emergency Roads Rehabilitation programme.

    The general labourers will be paid a gross salary of $244,48 per month each.

    According to the Human Resources and General Purposes Committee minutes, council noted that the city’s roads were declared a national disaster by Government.

    The committee said director of works Engineer Phillip Pfukwa reported that general labourers had previously been engaged for drain-clearing and that their re-engagement had been prompted by the need to urgently repair rain-damaged roads.

  • - herald
  • Former Harare town clerk Tendai Mahachi, waste water manager Simon Muserere and water director Christopher Zvobgo yesterday appeared in court facing charges of fraud involving $35 million.Muserere (47), who appeared on three separate records, was granted $1 300 bail, while Zvobgo (64), who is appearing on two records, was granted $800 bail. Mahachi (63) was granted $300 bail.

    It is alleged that Mahachi, Zvobgo and Muserere smuggled unregistered companies for the award of the contract for the Firle sewage works.

    Muserere and Zvobgo hand picked Energy Resources Africa Consortium (ERAC) for a contract valued at $13 816 117, 10. They manipulated the company name from Energy Resources Africa Consortium Trading to Portriver as a cover up.

    On March 22, 2011 they corruptly awarded a tender to Sidal Engineering (Pvt) Ltd to the tune of $18 121 125, 10. It is alleged that in early 2011, Muserere and Zvobgo prepared an unpriced bill of quantities for the work needed at Firle. The contract was valued at $18 121 125, 16 and they also awarded a tender to ERAC to the tune of $13 816 117, 10.

    On April 6, 2011, Sydney Hambara raised an invoice of $1 490 000 purporting that the work was complete when in actual fact nothing was done. In February 2010, Muserere initiated that a new sewer line of 2,8 kilometres be constructed to upgrade Highlands sewer system.

    He hand picked Showbyte Engineering (Pvt) Ltd, which was owned by his in-laws and gave it a tender worth $1 273 311, 28. Directors of the company were sisters to Muserere’s wife and she would withdraw money deposited by City of Harare. The company was awarded another tender worth $300 000.

    City of Harare lost $35 000 619, 54.

  • - herald
  • Harare City Council is set to construct two enhanced clinics in Kuwadzana and Hatcliffe, as well as an inner-city clinic by 2018 at a cost of $2 million.

    Speaking during a tour of the recently upgraded Mabvuku Clinic yesterday, acting town clerk Mrs Josephine Ncube said the city was now targeting two more such clinics, as well as expanding existing ones.

    Mabvuku Clinic delivered its first three babies by Caesarian Section last week, a procedure enabled by newly installed machines.

    Mrs Ncube said the city intended to start work on the inner city clinic near Herbert Chitepo and Fifth Street, which is being used as a car park.

    She said the area was reserved for an inner-city clinic which would cater for areas like The Avenues, Eastlea and Milton Park.

  • - herald
  • Harare’s Mayor has condemned the ludicrous number of police roadblocks in Harare and the terrible state of the roads as being painful to residents, and a deterrent to tourism. While presenting his second State Of The City address last month, Manyenyeni described the efforts between the ZRP and council’s Trafficable Roads Team as disjointed.

    “Allow me to share the grief of the excessive number of roadblocks mounted by the ZRP in the city. This is one of the most annoying aspects of living in Harare. The pain of the roadblocks is widely shared in our communities and has been exported by visitors to further de-market and derail tourism in the city and in the country,” he said.

    Motorists in Harare complain that despite their best efforts to comply they are forced to pay fines at the steadily increasing number of police stops popping up at almost every turn. It is becoming so bad that at times traffic fines can exceed the already high costs of running and maintaining a vehicle. What’s more, motorists can be detained for hours while police try to extort cash from them. This keeps them away from work, and paying fines after long waits carries direct and indirect economic consequences for the individual and the economy at large.

  • - hararenews
  • A South African man who was arrested over the weekend after he drove his vehicle through the barricades at State House along Borrowdale Road at around 3am, was yesterday fined $150 for trespassing.

    Adriaan Philip Olivier (30), who is a professional hunter employed by Save Safaris in Devure Range, Bikita, was convicted on his own plea of guilty. The road is only open to motorists between 6am and 6pm every day for security reasons.

    When he was arrested, Olivier was in possession of nine live rounds of ammunition. He pleaded for the court’s leniency, arguing that he was not familiar with the rules and regulations of that area.

    In passing sentence, magistrate Mr Lazini Ncube took note that Olivier was a first offender who pleaded guilty and did not waste the court’s time. “First offenders need to be treated with leniency,” he said. “He also has a sick child that he needs to take care of.”

    Mr Ncube said the fact that Olivier was not familiar with the area was not an excuse.

  • - herald
  • Harare City Council has reportedly stopped collecting garbage from most residential areas due to a severe shortage of refuse collection vehicles, NewsDay has learnt. As of Friday, the local authority had 15 refuse collection vehicles on the road with 32 others grounded.

    Mayor, Bernard Manyenyeni confirmed the crisis, but said council was making frantic efforts to acquire a new fleet of refuse trucks to cover all the city’s 30 wards.

    Government last month approved council’s request to borrow $29 million for procurement of service vehicles after Local Government minister Saviour Kasukuwere and his Finance counterpart, Patrick Chinamasa, gave the nod to the deal.

    In January, the local authority had to battle a typhoid outbreak with over 400 cases that led to at least two deaths. The current fleet of refuse vehicles was acquired in 2010 after council secured a $23 million loan from a local financier. Besides refuse trucks, council also requires skip bins to improve its waste management system.

  • - newsday
  • About

    public.co.zw is Zimbabwe online notice board, we look all over the internet for zimbabwe latest news and interesting information that affects our everyday life and pin them here.

    An Elitepages Project