Latest News Updates

FLAMBOYANT Harare businessman and socialite Wicknell Chivayo has described Dynamos’ 40th minute equalising “goal” against Highlanders in the Battle of Zimbabwe last Sunday as “fake” and also took a swipe at assistant referee Thomas Kusosa who he said was “drunk” on the day of the match.

The businessman – a die-hard Highlanders supporter -  was one of the more than 18 000 fans that thronged Barbourfields Stadium on Sunday.

He told Chronicle Sport that it hurt him that he drove all the way from the capital to watch the blockbuster encounter “only for the linesman to decide to cheat us with an offside goal”.

The goal resulted in fans pelting Kusosa as they argued that Cameroonian Christian Epoupa was in an offside position before his leveller. The game was subsequently stopped for close to an hour until referee, Munyaradzi Majoni, called off the match.

Confessing his love for the Bulawayo giants, Chivayo said he, together with others, spent the morning of the game at the Joshua Mqabuko Nkomo statue in the City Centre where they “assured” Umdala Wethu that Bosso would win the match against all odds.

  • - chronicle
  • HIGHLANDERS have challenged the Premier Soccer League’s statute of only punishing the home team every time there is crowd trouble arguing that all stakeholders involved in the game must bear the burden of bringing and maintaining sanity during football matches.

    The Bulawayo giants believe punishing the home side alone will not help solve the problem of crowd disturbances as long as other partners are not involved since they all benefit from the presence of supporters at the stadium.

    Addressing the media during the club’s weekly press conference yesterday, Highlanders’ chief executive officer Nhlanhla Bahlangene Dube said clubs are only a vehicle for bringing the fans to the stadium which then benefits other stakeholders.

    He said the club acknowledges that there were missiles thrown onto the pitch, that there was pitch invasion during their blockbuster encounter against Dynamos on Sunday in which more than 20 000 spectators came into the stadium, but what was important was the issue of stakeholder participation after the disturbances as the fans protested a Dynamos equaliser.

  • - chronicle
  • The Zimbabwe football family plunged into yet another brutal soul-searching exercise yesterday, amid a scramble for the football rule book after the Castle Lager Premiership showdown between Highlanders and Dynamos was abandoned at Barbourfields amid depressingly familiar chaotic scenes.

    An explosive game before a sellout crowd ended prematurely in the 42nd minute when the match officials called it off after some Bosso fans, angered by DeMbare’s disputed equaliser, staged a rebellion and refused to let the assistant referee — whom they blamed for not spotting an offside leading to the goal — take his place on the line.

    Not even spirited calls by the Bosso leadership, players and even coach Elroy Akbay for the rebellious fans to let the game proceed could cool down the tempers and, after a prolonged break in which the assistant referee was also hit by a flying object, the match was called off.

    It’s the second time, in the past seven years, that a league match between the country’s two biggest football clubs has been abandoned at Barbourfields. When the two giants met in a league match at the same venue in 2010, the game was also called off with Dynamos leading 2-1 before the Glamour Boys were handed the match on a 3-0 scoreline in the boardroom

  • - herald
  • Highlanders 1-1 Dynamos

    (match abandoned after 40 minutes)

    FORTY minutes of the explosive Castle Lager Premiership flagship clash between traditional rivals Highlanders and Dynamos were played at Barbourfields Stadium in Bulawayo before the game was abandoned due to crowd trouble yesterday.

    An equaliser by Dynamos’ Cameroonian striker Christian Epoupa in the 40th minute sparked the trouble, as Highlanders’ fans threw missiles at second assistant referee Thomas Kusosa protesting the goal.

    Epoupa scored from a clear offside position, but Kusosa did not flag him and instead signalled a goal.

    With missiles raining on Kusosa, the Gweru-based assistant referee ran to the centre of the field as Bosso players and officials tried to calm down fans.

    Twice the fans chased Kusosa away from the touchline and after lengthy deliberations, match commissioner Edson Nkau and the referees called off the match.

    “The game has been called off due to crowd trouble,” was all Nkau was prepared to say.

    The result of the blockbuster will now be determined in the boardroom and Highlanders are likely to be sanctioned for their fans’ behaviour.

  • - chronicle
  • IT probably needed the country’s biggest club to stop high-riding newboys Yadah Stars and give them a reality check on life in the Castle Lager Premier Soccer at the National Sports Stadium yesterday.

    After a storming start to their maiden season in the top-flight life Yadah had looked poised to continue with their fairy tale in which they had been unbeaten in five starts until Ocean Mushure’s first half strike ended that streak.

  • - chronicle
  • HOW Mine coach Kelvin Kaindu said he was shocked by Dynamos’ pathetic performance yesterday after the lifeless Glamour Boys turned on a horror show to slump to another home defeat in a Castle Lager Premiership tie at the National Sports Stadium.

    Lloyd Mutasa’s men succumbed to a late first half header by Toto Banda following a defensive gaffe involving goalkeeper Tonderai Mateyaunga and Lincolin Zvasiya.

    It was Dynamos’ second straight home defeat in the Premiership campaign after they also fell 0-1 to FC Platinum on the opening day of the season.

    Kaindu said he was surprised by DeMbare’s poor show.

  • - chronicle
  • Hwange 0 – 1 Dynamos

    A GOAL deep into referee’s optional time by Emmanuel Mandiranga broke the hearts of a resilient and determined Hwange side to secure Dynamos’ first win of this year’s Castle Lager Premier Soccer League at the Colliery Stadium yesterday.

    The new look Hwange side learnt the hard way that in football you get punished if you don’t take your chances.

    The hosts dominated DeMbare for the better part of the match only to lose in added time as their defence shockingly failed to clear a harmless Mandiranga header off Wisdom Mutasa’s corner kick and the ball agonisingly rolled into the nets with three defenders watching helplessly.

  • - chronicle
  • Hwange will look to capitalise on Dynamos’ sluggish start to the 2017 Castle Lager Premier Soccer League season, when the two teams clash at the Colliery tomorrow afternoon.

    The coal miners also have not enjoyed the best of starts with a draw and a defeat in their first two matches, but they bounced back to register their first win against Chapungu in their last match.

    Lloyd Mutsa’s DeMbare are still searching for their first win of the season after they lost and drew to FC Platinum and Triangle respectively.

    The two results have left the Harare giants fretting over another frustrating and barren season, but their success in the Independence Trophy, where they won against Caps United in the semi-final before they claimed the silverware after accounting for Highlanders, albeit via a penalty shootout, has somewhat restored confidence and belief.

  • - newsday
  • Dynamos . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (0) 1
    Highlanders . . . . . . . . . . . . .(0) 1

    (Dynamos won 3-2 after a penalty shootout)

    DYNAMOS coach Lloyd Mutasa was left a relieved man after his side conceded a penalty deep in the referee’s optional time against Highlanders, but went on to win the shootout to clinch the Independence Trophy at a packed National Sports Stadium yesterday.

  • - newsday
  • Dynamos star player, Denver Mukamba has been ruled out of today’s Independence Cup final against Highlanders following a hamstring injury he sustained in the semi-final clash against Caps United on Sunday.

    Mukamba missed training yesterday and, depending on the extent of the injury, could be forced to the sidelines for weeks.

    However, striker, Quality Kangadze, who was also forced out of Sunday’s match in the first half after he took a knock, trained with the rest of the squad yesterday, which has given the popular Harare giants a boost ahead of the highly-anticipated clash with Bosso.

    It is the absence of Mukamba that could leave the DeMbare faithfuls fretting ahead of the return to Castle Lager Premier Soccer League action at the weekend.

    A hamstring injury can take several weeks to heal depending on the how bad the tear is.

  • - newsday
  • DYNAMOS juniors coach Murape Murape had to run for dear life on Sunday after he fell prey to a group of football hooligans who ambushed him and his family after the Independence Cup semi-final match between DeMbare and CAPS United at the National Sports Stadium.

    The former DeMbare skipper said he was attacked by three men wearing CAPS United regalia and had to take to his heels after a mob wearing the same green-and-white colours also joined in.

    Murape said he lost valuables, including cash and a cellphone. He said the culprits who started the skirmish got into their car and drove away from the scene after he had sought police assistance.

    The matter was reported at Mabelreign Police Station and investigations are underway.

  • - herald
  • CAPS United………………………..0
    Dynamos…………………………(0) 1

    GIANTS Dynamos edged bitter rivals CAPS United in Independence Cup semi-final soccer tie at the National Sports Stadium to set up a dream date against Highlanders.

  • - herald
  • About is Zimbabwe online notice board, we look all over the internet for zimbabwe latest news and interesting information that affects our everyday life and pin them here.

    An Elitepages Project