HOME Affairs minister Ignatius Chombo yesterday told Parliament that government had ordered police to reduce the number of roadblocks to 40 countrywide, which translates to four per province, following a public outcry from motorists and tourists, who described the numerous vehicle checkpoints as a great inconvenience.
Chombo made the remarks after he and his deputy, Obedingwa Mguni, appeared before the Dexter Nduna-led Parliamentary Portfolio Committee on Home Affairs to speak on roadblocks, where they also disclosed that they would next month commission the integrated electronic traffic system to electronically identify defective vehicles and traffic offenders.
“Government has told the Commissioner-General of Police, Augustine Chihuri, to remove all unnecessary roadblocks and mount necessary ones,” Chombo said. “Roadblocks will be reduced to only 40 nationally before computerisation, and it means there will be four roadblocks per province unless there is a security threat or serious crime.”
The Zimbabwe National Parks and Wildlife Authority is auctioning various tourist attraction centres as it does not have resources to develop them, The Herald has learnt. The sites are dotted around the country and are commonly referred to as photographic sites. Zimparks acting spokesperson Mr Simukai Nyasha said in an interview yesterday that the auction was set for Harare.
Desired Liaison Auctioneers was hired to conduct the auction.
“An auction will be conducted in Harare on 29 June 2017 and is open to the public,” he said. “This is meant to auction photographic sites that are available in the land managed by Zimparks. These photographic sites will enable private investors to develop tourism facilities.”
Mr Nyasha said the move was meant to develop the sites and counter competition from other players.
Motorists could still be losing cash to a syndicate of bogus cops that have been mounting illegal roadblocks using spikes in Harare, as some of the culprits are still on the run and police are yet to recover the spikes and deposit fine books they are using in committing the offences.
The syndicate involves former police officers who were discharged from the force for indiscipline and dishonesty, and civilians. Police have so far arrested seven suspects in connection with impersonating police officers or alternatively possessing articles for criminal use in recent weeks.
Five of them – four being former cops and a footballer – appeared in court last week, while two more former cops yesterday appeared before Ms Barbra Chimboza.
Carrington Marasha and Farai Mupundumani are facing charges of attempted armed robbery and impersonating a police officer.
They were remanded in custody and were advised to approach the High Court for bail application. Their alleged accomplice, Munyaradzi Tivaringe, alias Goliath, is still at large.
A MAKONI-BASED policeman was last week brutally murdered by a villager following a scuffle over a $2 debt.Teurai Tsarwe (35) of Zambe Village under Chief Makoni was arrested on murder charges as defined in Section 47 of the Criminal Law (Codification and Reform) Act, Chapter 9.23.
Tsarwe, who was not represented, was not asked to plead when he appeared before Rusape provincial magistrate Mrs Elizabeth Hanzi, who advised him to apply for bail at the High Court as he was facing a very serious offence.
Prosecuting, Mrs Moreblessing Tapfumaneyi told the court that Tsarwe struck Samson Mutsunguma, a police special constabulary, several times on the head with a stone.
“On June 13 at around 5.30pm and at Zambe Village, Teurai Tsarwe assaulted Samson Mutsunguma after Tsarwe had demanded his $2 note.
SIXTEEN cases of typhoid have been reported in some parts of the country, with 14 recorded in Harare, a weekly diseases surveillance report by the Ministry of Health and Child Care has indicated.
The report covered week ending June 4. Harare City reported 14 cases, Bindura District in Mashonaland Central Province reported one case, while Murehwa District in Mashonaland East Province reported a single case as well.
According to the report, two cases, which translate to 12,5 percent of the infected, were under the age of five. Cumulatively, a total of 2 371 suspected cases of typhoid fever, 78 confirmed cases and six deaths have been recorded countrywide between January 1 and June 4, 2017.
By June 15, a total of 2 526 suspected typhoid cases, 116 confirmed cases and 10 deaths had been reported countrywide.Typhoid is an infection caused by the bacteria Salmonella typhimurium.
The bacterium lives in the intestines and bloodstream of humans. It is spread between individuals by direct contact with the faeces of an infected person. Symptoms normally begin six to 30 days after exposure to the bacteria. The two major symptoms of typhoid are fever and rash.
VETERAN musician and war veteran Cde Dickson Chingaira who died on Friday last week at a city hospital, has been declared a liberation war hero. zanu-PF secretary for administration Cde Ignatius Chombo, last night said in conferring Cde Chingaira liberation war hero status, the Politburo considered his contribution to the nation.
“Cde Dickson Chingaira has been declared a liberation war hero. He has earned this because of his works during the war and he remained consistent after the war. The nation is thankful to his contribution,” he said.
Popularly known as Cde Chinx, the iconic musician passed on at West End Hospital in Harare. He was 61. Harare province had written to the party recommending national hero status for him.
Cde Chinx battled blood cancer for some time and was in and out of hospital.He also had tried to seek help from prophets, apostolic faith churches and traditional healers without success.
GOVERNMENT has availed $2,5 million for the purchase of 100 000 set top boxes as the country gears up for the digitilisation exercise, a senior government official has said.
Set top boxes will enable television sets to receive digital signals when the country migrates from the current analogue to digital transmission.
Information, Media and Broadcasting Services permanent secretary Mr George Charamba said once the set top boxes have been distributed to the public some areas which are digital compliant will start to receive transmission.
“Government has set aside $2,5 million to bring in set top boxes and the first batch of set top boxes will be about 100 000 units. Once we have those in the country and distributed to the viewers then it means we should be able to roll out our digitilisation programme,” he said in an interview in Gweru last week.
ZANU-PF Bulawayo province has started organising funds to fulfil President Mugabe’s pledge to donate cattle to the African Union (AU).
Zanu-PF provincial chairman Cde Dennis Ndlovu said the province has set up a committee to mobilise resources which is chaired by the Minister of State for Bulawayo Provincial Affairs Cde Nomthandazo Eunice Moyo.
Cde Ndlovu said the committee was set up during last Saturday’s Provincial Coordinating Committee held at the party’s provincial headquarters, Davies Hall.
Cde Ndlovu said members are free to donate in cash or kind for the pledge to be fulfilled. President Mugabe has been hailed for his initiative to push for a self-reliant Africa and the cattle donation has been viewed as a step that should be emulated by other African states.
GOVERNMENT has said graduates who were bonded under its phased out cadetship programme can buy themselves out of the scheme by paying the required fees to access original copies of their certificates.
Students who were under the cadetship scheme were bonded for three years with Government directing tertiary institutions to issue photocopies of certificates to enable them to search for jobs.
However, graduates intending to search for employment outside the country had challenges using the certified copies to secure employment.
In an interview yesterday, Higher and Tertiary Education, Science and Technology Development Deputy Minister Dr Godfrey Gandawa said bonded students can now buy themselves out of the bonding system to access their original certificates.
He said graduates can pay the fees required by their former institutions before being issued with original certificates instead of waiting for three years of bonding.
THERE was drama and chaos at Bellevue along Masiyephambili Road in Bulawayo yesterday when some Nkulumane Police Station officers allegedly impounded a kombi over an outstanding $3 bribe, before ramming into a signpost.
The driver of the kombi, Tavonga Moyo, said he arrived at a roadblock at Bellevue along Masiyephambili Road and was signalled to stop his Toyota vehicle, registration number ACQ 4455.
“I was still talking to the other female officer when suddenly three police officers jumped into my kombi to impound it, accusing me of failing to pay a $3 bribe which I did not pay on Wednesday,” he alleged.
“A police sergeant nicknamed Mlomobomvu, from Nkulumane, drove the kombi intending to take it to the police station, while I sat on the passenger seat.’’
He said the officer was speeding and lost control of the vehicle before ramming into a signpost. Moyo said the other officers called their colleagues from Nkulumane Police Station to attend the scene.
But other kombi drivers who came to the scene resisted and called police officers from Drill Hall traffic section to attend to the scene to record statements.
THE National Railways of Zimbabwe (NRZ) has blamed vagrants for allegedly causing the fire which burnt and destroyed the parastatal’s 21 wagons in Bulawayo last week.
NRZ spokesperson, Nyasha Maravanyika, yesterday said the wagons were burnt after suspected vagrants lit a fire to warm themselves up and left it unattended on June 7.
What we suspect is that there are vagrants who were taking shelter in our coaches and in the process they made fire which then spread and destroyed 21 of our wagons. The wagons were stationed and unused and they were in four rail roads. There were no injuries sustained,” he said.
He said the NRZ was still assessing the cost of the damage.
THE tourism sector is reportedly suffering huge losses owing to overzealous manner at which some Zimbabwe Republic Police officers are manning roadblocks along the countries roads, abusing both motorists and the law.
Ross Kennedy, chief executive of Africa Albida Tourism and the former chairman of the African Travel and Tourism Association, said the country was now becoming difficult to sell as a self-drive destination and countries such as Germany were now shunning Zimbabwe as a safe destination.
Kennedy said the roadblock situation had become worse despite assurances by the Tourism ministry that things would get better. Kennedy said he was encouraged by Press reports that Tourism minister Walter Mzembi was engaging the Home Affairs ministry to ensure that the situation on the country’s roads was improved.
This only reflects the cost of doing business in Zimbabwe, which is being pushed upwards by three main drivers — poor laws, corruption and congested road blocks — which has turned the life of road users into a nightmare and owning a vehicle into a crime. Not only are tourists being affected, but locals as well, including tobacco farmer Evan Nyakuchera, who said the cost of transporting his 20 bales of tobacco from Karoi to Harare went up by nearly 50% owing to “problematic” roadblocks along the way.
public.co.zw is Zimbabwe online notice board, we look all over the internet for zimbabwe latest news and interesting information that affects our everyday life and pin them here.An Elitepages Project