MOST Zanu PF councillors in Harare are reportedly on the ground canvassing for support ahead of next year’s general elections, as the ruling party seeks to retain all its seats and wrest some from the opposition MDC-T party.
Zanu PF currently has 10 councillors in the capital city, while the MDC-T has 45 councillors.
On Friday, ward 7 councillor Beadle Musatya Gwasira launched his re-election campaign by donating some industrial sewing machines and other accessories to Zanu PF members based at Zimbabwe Republic Police’s Tomlison depot.
Speaking at the handover ceremony, Gwasira said: “We encourage you to repay the money to the revolving fund and that we should now start monthly meetings where we give each other updates on the projects and party activities.”
Gwasira, two years ago, launched a $30 000 revolving fund to finance various business projects run by female party members.
WAR veterans have warned President Robert Mugabe that he might go down together with his beleaguered Zanu PF national political commissar, Saviour Kasukuwere in next year’s general elections if he continues shielding the latter.
Zimbabwe National Liberation War Veterans’ Association spokesperson, Douglas Mahiya yesterday said the former fighters were unamused and accused Mugabe of protecting Kasukuwere in order to create a dynasty.
Mugabe last week sent a high-powered Zanu PF probe team to Bindura to investigate Kasukuwere after the party’s 10 provinces recently endorsed the call for his ouster for reportedly plotting to dethrone Mugabe, among other charges.
But war veterans said they suspected Mugabe just wanted to buy time and give Kasukuwere another chance to rebuild his battered political profile.
“We had expected the leadership of the party to act with speed because this is an issue we have been pushing for a long time. There is nothing
special about Kasukuwere. Nobody raised the issue of the constitution when we were expelled, but now they want to appear to be following the law,” Mahiya said.
“We can see through him (Mugabe). He wants an emasculated Kasukuwere, so he can use him in the creation of his dynasty. It is not going to work. They will both go down.”
Mahiya announced the war veterans would field a candidate to challenge Kasukuwere in his Mt Darwin South constituency next year.
THE committee tasked to probe allegations against Zanu-PF National Political Commissar Cde Saviour Kasukuwere is compiling its report and expects to hand it over to the appointing authority, President Mugabe, sometime this week, a committee member has said. Zanu-PF national spokesperson Cde Simon Khaya Moyo, who was part of the four-member probe team, yesterday said the decision lies with President Mugabe.
“The report will be given to the President because the committee looking into allegations against Kasukuwere is the President’s committee,” he said. “President Mugabe is the appointing authority. He will be given the report and will decide the next step,” he said.
Cde Khaya Moyo’s statements come in the wake of claims in some sections of the media that the fact-finding mission had exonerated Cde Kasukuwere inspite of the fact that 10 provinces raised petitions against him, all of which were for the attention of the Politburo, which is the secretariat of the Central Committee, Zanu-PF’s highest decision-making organ outside Congress.
Cde Kasukuwere is accused of presiding over the destruction of Zanu-PF, through setting up parallel structures with a view to deposing President Mugabe at an envisaged special Congress.
LOCAL Government, Public Works and National Housing Deputy Minister Christopher Chingosho has joined growing calls for the dismissal of his boss at the ministry, Zanu-PF political commissar, Cde Saviour Kasukuwere, from both Government and the party.
Cde Kasukuwere is the Minister of Local Government, Public Works and National Housing. Cde Chingosho was speaking in an interview while describing circumstances surrounding his attack by rowdy youths during a Manicaland Provincial Coordinating Committee held last week.
Some members of the Central Committee had to physically protect Cde Chingosho at the meeting after some of the youths took weapons such as chairs in a bid to physically harm him.
“I feel that the attack was a planned thing,” he said. “This is because before the meeting started I was surprised to see Cde Shadreck Mashayamombe around and he had come early and held a number of private meetings mobilising youths and some provincial members to try and stop the votes of no confidence that were passed against national commissar Cde Kasukuwere and provincial chairman Cde (Samuel) Undenge and his wife (Letina).”
Cde Chingosho said he was then attacked after saying Manicaland Provincial Affairs Minister Mandi Chimene and Zanu-PF Secretary for Youth Affairs should also have votes of no confidence passed against them for undermining the authority of the President. “I was attacked because I stood up and notified the meeting that they had left two other dangerous people (Cde Chimene and Cde Chipanga) in the province who are also equally guilty (as Cdes Kasukuwere and Undenge and his wife) of undermining the President,” he said.
In an interview with Dailynews, MDC shadow Finance minister Tapiwa Mashakada said they have a plan to create a 100 billion dollar economy within its first 100 days if elected. Here are points pointed out in the interview on how they going to achieve that goal
MDC-T leader Morgan Tsvangirai has dispatched members of his national standing committee, MPs and other party officials for a rural campaign blitz ahead of the watershed 2018 general elections.
Tsvangirai, who has been criticised for failing to harness the rural vote, has pushed his party machinery to penetrate Zanu PF strongholds with rallies being held in President Robert Mugabe’s rural Zvimba, led by secretary for elections Murisi Zwizwai.
Youth assembly leader Happymore Chidziva was in Chitekete, Gokwe, this week leading rallies and voter registration campaigns ahead of the compilation of a new biometric voter register (BVR).
“We are taking the campaigns to so-called Zanu PF strongholds to carry the message of hope and change. The most important part of our campaigns is to ensure that people register to vote, defend their vote and defeat a Zanu PF regime that has brought nothing, but suffering in their lives for 37 years,” Chidziva said.
Party presidential affairs secretary Sesil Zvidzai, who is leading campaigns in Midlands’ Vungu rural area, was also upbeat, saying the party was speaking with disgruntled war veterans who have been Mugabe’s vanguard declaring resettlement and rural areas no-go areas for opposition supporters.
MDC-T spokesperson Obert Gutu confirmed the new rural areas thrust, saying his party was ready to face the beast in the eye.
NATIONAL People’s Party (NPP) leader Joice Mujuru has urged Zimbabwean women to participate in next year’s elections in order to help redefine the current political narrative dominated mostly by men.
In an interview with NewsDay during the launch of the Hivos-organised Women for Leadership Programme on Thursday, Mujuru said women should organise themselves in meeting all the prerequisites expected of citizens who participate in an election.
“Women from 18 years of age should make sure that they have all the correct documentation from the birth certificate and understand the steps that they have to take just to get to the last day of voting because this is very important,” she said.
“We must understand that as women we can only be included in politics if we take the initiative ourselves. It’s now very important that we vote in our numbers in order for us to change the status quo, especially now as we approach 2018.”
Mujuru, who earned the sympathy of some women during the time she was booted out of Zanu PF where she was vice president, warned women against pulling each other down in politics.
CAPS United have abandoned the use of chartered flights for their Total Caf Champions League Group B away matches for security reasons due to the unpredictable political situation in North Africa.
The league champions believe commercial flights will be reasonably cheaper compared to a chartered flight, whose journey can be easily interrupted in foreign lands.
Caps United were drawn together with five-time champions Zamalek of Egypt, Libya’s Al Ahli Tripoli, who play their home games in Tunisia due to the political turmoil in their home country, and Algeria’s USM Alger; teams all based in North Africa and the journey begins over the weekend of May 12-14 with a trip to Cairo.
“Those are high risk areas and to travel in our own plane might not be safe. We need to use commercial flights, which I think are very safe compared to a chartered plane. It’s risky to travel alone as a team and besides, commercial flights to those areas could be cheaper,” said Caps United president Farai Jere.
THE Zanu PF Manicaland provincial executive council has booted out its chairperson, Samuel Undenge, accusing him of incompetence and working in cahoots with beleaguered party political commissar, Saviour Kasukuwere in setting up parallel structures in the province as part of a wider plot to topple President Robert Mugabe.
Undenge’s deputy, Joseph Mujati confirmed the development yesterday, saying they have already sent the petition to Zanu PF secretary for administration, Ignatius Chombo.
“Yes, there is such a resolution and we copied the letter to people you mentioned,” he said. The petition was also copied to women’s league secretary, First Lady Grace Mugabe and Vice-Presidents Emmerson Mnangagwa and Phelekezela Mphoko.
The committee accused Undenge, who is also Energy minister, of failing to organise regular provincial meetings in line with the party’s constitution.
UNDP Resident Coordinator Mr Bishow Parajuli yesterday commended the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission for the manner it had so far carried out the site validation tests for two companies bidding to supply Biometric Voter Registration kits.
The tests for the kits began last Thursday while mock registration exercises were held in Harare at Mabvuku High School on Monday and at Murape Secondary School yesterday.
“What I am very pleased with is that all stakeholders are involved. It is being done in a transparent manner. There are a lot of political parties, technical experts are here, the media (are here) and ZEC staff, that is good.
“What we need to understand is that this is just testing of the equipment. It is mock voter registration process and it is an important step in choosing the right equipment,” he said.
Mr Parajuli also welcomed Government’s commitment in contributing funds for the procurement of the equipment. Government has provided at least $17 million for the exercise while development partners have provided $7 million through the UNDP.
“UNDP will continue to work with ZEC and what is key as we move forward is for everybody engaging in this to continue in a transparent and peaceful manner. Our role is purely technical support to ZEC. We are helping strengthening the capacity of ZEC,” Mr Parajuli said.
Zanu-PF secretary for administration Cde Ignatius Chombo has been dropped from a high level team visiting Mashonaland Central today to resolve differences stemming from a petition signed by the province against national political commissar Cde Saviour Kasukuwere and his brother Cde Dickson Mafios.
Cde Mafios is the acting Zanu-PF Mashonaland Central provincial chairman, but was recently suspended after the provincial executive issued him with a prohibition order.
Reasons for Cde Chombo’s sudden exclusion were not clear by yesterday.
The four member team is now being led by Cde Jacob Mudenda, who is also a Politburo member and Speaker of the National Assembly.
Other members of the team are Cdes Simon Khaya Moyo (secretary for information and publicity), Tsitsi Muzenda (Committee member in the Politburo) and an official identified as Cde Kazizi.
Zanu-PF director of administration Cde Dickson Dzora will be the minute taker at the meeting that is strictly going to be attended by provincial members and those who constitute the Provincial Coordinating Committee.
Initially, Cde Chombo was leading the team that was supposed to meet last Sunday before the meeting was postponed to today.
HIGHER and Tertiary Education minister Jonathan Moyo yesterday threw his weight behind his beleaguered colleague, Saviour Kasukuwere, who faces accusations of abusing his Zanu PF commissariat position to set up parallel structures in a bid to topple President Robert Mugabe.
In a strong-worded statement, Moyo described the attacks on Kasukuwere as “hogwash of the century”, as he also took a dig at Macro-Economic Planning minister Obert Mpofu, whom he described as the biblical “Judas Iscariot”, after the latter indicated that the Tsholotsho North MP would also be censured soon for backing his Mt Darwin South colleague.
All the 10 Zanu PF provincial executives have signed petitions calling for Kasukuwere’s ouster from both his party and government positions.
Besides both being Zanu PF politburo members, Kasukuwere and Moyo are reportedly friends.
Moyo, who is currently in India, yesterday dismissed allegations he was conniving with Kasukuwere in an alleged plot to topple Mugabe.
“From the published remarks on the social media platforms of the Chronicle and the Herald, it is clear that Obert Mpofu abused the PCC (provincial coordinating committee), as he so often does, in his mistaken belief that just because he has a big body, he should throw his weight around and usurp the PCC for his personal purposes and his grossly selfish politics that the people of Matabeleland North have come to loathe for its depravity,” Moyo said.
“Obert Mpofu believes he is the Zanu PF PCC in Matabeleland North and that the PCC in Matabeleland North is Obert Mpofu. This rot of his has gone on for too long and too far.”
public.co.zw is Zimbabwe online notice board, we look all over the internet for zimbabwe latest news and interesting information that affects our everyday life and pin them here.An Elitepages Project