Latest News Updates

A COUNCILLOR from Bulawayo has been arrested for allegedly sending sexually explicit messages on a community WhatsApp group.

Councillor Charles Moyo (36) of Ward 9, who is from the MDC-T party, yesterday appeared before Western Commonage magistrate Mr Lungile Ncube charged with sending a message that is grossly offensive, indecent or of an obscene nature through a cellphone.

The ward encompasses Mpopoma, Matshobana and Kelvin North 2. Mr Ncube remanded Moyo out of custody on free bail to today for trial, following his plea to seek legal representation.

Prosecuting, Ms Margaret Takawira said on July 14 Moyo sent obscene messages to the Mpopoma-Matshobana Residents Executive Committee WhatsApp group.

The group was set up to allow community members to communicate with their councillor on matters of development. The pornographic gutter language used in the messages is so crude that it cannot be printed in a family paper.

  • - chronicle
  • MDC-T thugs yesterday attacked an Additional Sheriff of the High Court in a bid to block him from serving their party leader Mr Morgan Tsvangirai with summons in which he is being sued for failing to pay facilitators of his failed “grand coalition” in the run-up to the 2013 harmonised elections.

    The thugs forcibly took away the court official’s file containing court processes that he intended to serve on other parties. The opposition leader’s home-boy, Mr Moreprecision Muzadzi last week filed summons at the High Court, claiming $80 000.

    The Additional Sheriff Mr Respect Chimombe yesterday swung himself in harm’s way he visited Harvest House in Harare to serve Mr Tsvangirai and two others with the summons.

    Mr Chimombe also sought to serve MDC-T with a notice of set down in a Labour Court case involving the opposition party, Toendepi Shonhe and others. He was kicked all over the body and pushed away by the violent youths.

    Police spokesperson Chief Superintendent Paul Nyathi confirmed the incident, saying investigations were underway.

  • - herald
  • THE Government has said it will not allow Tajamuka/Sesijikile pressure group to hold its planned protests as it has a record of violence.

    Tajamuka/Sesijikile has declared 20 to 25 June as “the days for a total shutdown” as the group plans to lead protests across the country. However, analysts have since dismissed the group as being made up of hopeless attention seekers.

    The Deputy Minister of Home Affairs, Cde Obedingwa Mguni, on Friday said while the Government recognises the constitutional provision of the right to protest, it will not let unruly elements abuse that right. Cde Mguni said the Tajamuka/Sesijikile group has a record of holding violent protests, thus the Government would not tolerate their planned protests.

    Last year the grouping called for similar mass protests which flopped dismally, save for a few isolated chaotic scenes where Tajamuka/Sesijikile hooligans broke into shops and looted goods. Police arrested 95 people in Harare in connection with the isolated disturbances.

  • - sundaynews
  • TWO retail outlets were yesterday fined by a Harare regional magistrate for contravening section 13 of the Bank Use Promotion Act after they failed to bank their cash.

    Bathroom Boutique, which was represented by its general manager, Faith Chumbu, was fined $9 700, while Eurostar Electricals Company, which was represented by its manager, Paul Muyengi, was fined $20 000.

    Bathroom Boutique was then ordered to pay $8 200 after magistrate Hosiah Mujaya suspended $1 500 on condition that the company shall not be convicted of similar charges within the next five years, while Eurostar Electricals was ordered to pay $18 000 after $2 000 was suspended on the same conditions.

  • - newsday
  • ZANU-PF Politburo member Professor Jonathan Moyo yesterday launched a blistering attack on Vice President Emmerson Mnangagwa, saying he was not the most senior party member in Zanu-PF as he lauded Defence Minister Dr Sydney Sekeramayi with a string of superlatives. 

    Prof Moyo, who was speaking during a SAPES Policy Dialogue dubbed “Third Pan African Lecture – Wither the Nationalist project in Zimbabwe”, said VP Mnangagwa would not advance the nationalist project, accusing him of fronting a faction in Zanu-PF.

    VP Mnangagwa is on record distancing himself from the so-called Lacoste faction.

    Prof Moyo, who was accompanied to the panel discussion by embattled national political commissar Cde Saviour Kasukuwere, his brother Mashonaland Central chairman Cde Dickson Mafios, Cde Patrick Zhuwao and Cde Wonder Mashange among others, said VP Mnangagwa was not the most senior member in Zanu-PF after President Mugabe as he singled out Vice President Phelekezela Mphoko and Dr Sekeramayi, heaping praises on the latter.

  • - herald
  • FORMER Vice-President Joice Mujuru has unwittingly put herself on a possible collision course with MDC-T leader Morgan Tsvangirai after she announced on Monday that she was angling to lead a proposed grand coalition of opposition parties.

    Mujuru, who now heads the opposition National People’s Party, made the revelations while addressing the International Sheroes Forum in Ghana on Monday.

    The former Vice-President said she believed she was the right candidate to lead the project, given her liberation war credentials and 34 years’ experience as a top government official and that she was the only female politician heading a political party.

    Mujuru’s remarks come as Tsvangirai rapped opposition colleagues who were only in the coalition talks because they sought top positions.

    Tsvangirai has signed memoranda of understanding with Mujuru and MDC leader Welshman Ncube to lay the foundations for the proposed coalition, whose leader has not yet been named.

    Tsvangirai’s supporters have vowed to scuttle the coalition talks if he is not chosen as coalition leader.

  • - newsday
  • MDC-T leader Morgan Tsvangirai yesterday cautioned fellow opposition leaders involved in coalition talks against jostling for key positions in the proposed grand coalition, but focus on crafting policies aimed at resuscitating the country’s comatose economy in the post-President Robert Mugabe era.

    In a statement, Tsvangirai described fellow opposition leaders already jostling for influential positions before conclusion of the coalition talks as “small-minded opportunists” bent on selling out the people’s struggle.

    “For some of us, the debate around the next election should never be about positions, but about conditions! Who holds what position in the new administration is a petty debate being foisted on the nation by small minds, opportunists and detractors of our people; the true sellouts of the people’s struggle.”

    He threatened to clamp down on “unruly elements that seek to divide them” through fighting for leadership positions.

  • - newsday
  • VIOLENT scenes erupted at Zanu-PF Bulawayo provincial headquarters, Davies Hall, yesterday when rival groups clashed during a provincial co-ordinating committee (PCC) meeting.

    The violence saw provincial youth league chairperson Cde Anna Mokgohloa being assaulted by war veterans, while Bulawayo Central District chairperson Cde Magura Charumbira was stabbed in the head and face.

    Youths and war veterans laid an almost six-hour siege at the hall while Central Committee members, Politburo members, provincial executives and legislators were holed up inside.

    Anti-riot police had to be called in to control youths who were trying to stop the executive from holding the meeting, accusing the provincial leadership of supporting under fire national commissar Cde Saviour Kasukuwere.

    Cde Kasukuwere is accused of fanning factionalism and forming parallel structures in the party. Central Committee member Cde Butholezwe Ngwenya and party youths Cdes Cosmas Ncube and Maqhawe Sibanda were arrested following Cde Charumbira’s attack.

    By end of day yesterday, police were reportedly still rounding up youths involved in the violent clashes.

  • - herald
  • Internal disagreements within ZPF led Mujuru to dismiss seven senior members of the party whom she accused of having links with the ruling Zanu PF party. Top on the list of those that Mujuru gave the marching orders were  the Elders’ Advisory Council duo of Mutasa and Gumbo.

    The other five senior members that were shown the exit are former Zimbabwe Union of Democrats leader, Margaret Dongo; former Zanu PF politburo member Kudakwashe Bhasikiti; former Cabinet member Munacho Mutezo; former Zanu PF Bikita West legislator Claudius Makova and former Zanu PF Mashonaland East provincial youth chairperson Luckson Kandemiri.

    However, the group of seven responded to Mujuru’s move by calling a press conference where they rejected their purported dismissal, claiming that if anything, they were fed-up with Mujuru’s  “inept leadership and dictatorial tendencies” such that their dismissal came at a time they were finalising moves to recall her from her position as the interim leader of the party.

    Mujuru went on to rebrand her outfit the National People’s Party (NPP) while Mutasa, Gumbo and others remained with ZPF. Gumbo and Mutasa split again just last month this time with Bhasikiti and former army general Agrippa Mutambara emerging as faction leaders.

    Zimbabwe People First has split for the second time in two months after a faction in the party today officially appointed former Ambassador and Retired Brigadier-General Agrippa Mutambara as the interim leader.

    The development did not go down well with another faction led by the party’s elders Messrs Rugare Gumbo and Didymus Mutasa. The faction led by the two elders said by so doing, Rtd Brig-Gen Mutambara and his group had expelled themselves from the party.

    They accused Rtd Brig-Gen Mutambara of using money to land the post. ZimPF first imploded in February when then interim leader Dr Joice Mujuru parted ways with the council of elders led by Messrs Gumbo and Mutasa.

    Dr Mujuru later formed National People’s Party (NPP) while the elders remained in ZimPF. Mr Mutambara today convened a press conference together with Messrs Kudakwashe Bhasikiti, Munacho Mutezo, Claudious Makova and other officials whom they claimed were members of the steering committee running the party.

  • - chronicle
  • War veterans are fully behind President Mugabe and will vigorously campaign for Zanu-PF in next year’s harmonised elections, Zimbabwe National Liberation War Veterans Association (ZNLWVA) elder Cde Joseph Chinotimba has said.

    Cde Chinotimba said war veterans and Zanu-PF could not be separated, as the two were bonded by the history of the liberation struggle.

    He said war veterans should not be misled by reckless statements being made by some “lost and misguided elements” that are on the payroll of Western countries to denigrate President Mugabe and the revolutionary party.

    Cde Chinotimba’s remarks were in response to statements made by ZNLWVA spokesperson Mr Douglas Mahiya over the weekend that President Mugabe would go down with under-fire Zanu-PF national political commissar Cde Saviour Kasukuwere in next year’s elections if he failed to fire him.

  • - herald
  • Embattled zanu-pf national political commissar Cde Saviour Kasukuwere has summoned all the party’s provincial chairpersons for a meeting in Harare on Wednesday, but faces resistance as the same officials passed a vote of no confidence on him.

    All the provincial chairpersons except Bulawayo recently passed a vote of no confidence on Cde Kasukuwere who stands accused of creating parallel structures allegedly in a bid to oust President Mugabe.

    Cde Kasukuwere has also fallen out of favour with war veterans who now want someone with liberation credentials to head the commissariat department. The argument is that Cde Kasukuwere is causing divisions in the ruling party when his chief mandate is mass mobilisation.

    Cde Kasukuwere’s commissariat department sent messages to all the provincial chairpersons informing them about Wednesday meeting.

    “Good afternoon comrades there will be mobilisation meeting on Wednesday 3 May 2017 at 10am in the commissariat boardroom 3rd Floor zanu-pf headquarters. Please bring your reports with updates on restructuring and state of the party,” reads the message.

    But provincial chairpersons who spoke to The Herald last night expressed reservations about the meeting.

    They said provinces passed a vote of no confidence on Cde Kasukuwere and it was important that the issues they raised in their petitions be addressed first. Cde Kasukuwere, they said, was jumping the gun.

  • - herald
  • About

    public.co.zw is Zimbabwe online notice board, we look all over the internet for zimbabwe latest news and interesting information that affects our everyday life and pin them here.

    An Elitepages Project