TWO men from Bulawayo have been arrested for allegedly killing a motorist who almost ran over one of them near Lobengula Primary School in Mzilikazi suburb.
Chikomborero Zhakata almost knocked down Brian Chibeke (17) of Makokoba suburb with his Honda Fit last month when he was driving towards Lobengula Primary School at around 8PM.
A court heard that Zhakata stopped his car and tried to apologise to Chibeke. This did not go down well with Chibeke who teamed up with his friend Blessing Nyathi (32) and brutally attacked him.
Nyathi and Chibeke allegedly savagely punched Zhakata in the face before smashing his car windscreen.
The driver sustained serious injuries and was rushed to Mpilo Central Hospital where he was admitted for almost a month and died in the Intensive Care Unit on Saturday last week. Nyathi and Chibeke appeared before magistrate Mr Tinashe Tashaya facing a charge of murder.
Cabinet has approved the $300 million Special Programme on Livestock Production that is expected to run for between three and five years.
Livestock farmers from all sectors — communal to A2 and institutions including churches, Prisons and Police farms across the country are expected to benefit. A2 farmers are however expected to anchor the programme.
The programme will cover all aspects of livestock including beef cattle, dairy cows, pigs, sheep, goats, fish, wildlife and small stock such as poultry and rabbits.
The fund will also go towards foot and mouth disease fences, resuscitation and establishment of dip tanks, watering points and livestock infrastructure.
Agriculture, Mechanisation and Irrigation Development Minister Dr Joseph Made said yesterday that the programme will boost crop production for stockfeeds, resuscitating the leather industry, and production of tally for soap.
It is also expected to boost production of blood and bone meal which the country is importing. “Cabinet has approved the programme submitted by the committee on Food Security and Nutrition chaired by vice President Emmerson Mnangagwa.
The Zanu-PF Presidium will make a determination on the fate of national political commissar Cde Saviour Kasukuwere following yesterday’s Politburo meeting which discussed a report submitted by the ad-hoc probe committee.
Speaking after the extra ordinary meeting in Harare, Zanu-PF spokesperson, Cde Simon Khaya Moyo, said Cde Kasukuwere’s matter was now in the hands of the party’s Presidium which comprises President Mugabe and his two deputies Cde Emmerson Mnangagwa and Phelekezela Mphoko.
Cde Kasukuwere is accused of setting parallel structures in a bid to topple President Mugabe, fanning factionalism, corruption and abuse of office.
Said Cde Khaya Moyo:
“The report by the ad-hoc probe committee chaired by Cde Jacob Mudenda on the Mashonaland Central province petition was fully read to members of the Politburo page by page. There was extensive discussion of the report by members of the Politburo. The Presidium will digest the discussions and make the necessary pronouncement on the matter later.”
HARARE residents have pleaded with the government to shelve plans to introduce urban tollgates, saying the economic environment is not conducive to have motorists pay more levies.
Combined Harare Residents’ Association chairperson, Simbarashe Moyo said the push by Local Government minister Saviour Kasukuwere to urgently introduce tollgates in Harare would be met with resistance.
“We are totally against this idea of tollgates in town. It’s heartless to force residents to pay more when already we are burdened like this. We have realised that the government has a tendency of demanding money from broke residents whenever it seeks to funds its nefarious activities,” Moyo said.
Kasukuwere on Monday said Harare City Council must introduce urban tollgates as a matter of urgency in order to raise funds to refurbish the dilapidated road infrastructure, which is exposing motorists to accidents.
The Residents’ Forum, an umbrella body representing ratepayers, said the government should first account for money the Zimbabwe National Roads Authority (Zinara) collects from vehicle licences and highway tollgates so that citizens could see how transparent the State has been.
THE Government yesterday said it is only standard roadblocks that will be reduced to only four per province but the numerous spot checks by police within cities and towns will remain in place, dampening celebrations by motorists and public transport operators who thought they would now get a reprieve from harassment by law enforcement agents.
A standard roadblock has a Police Ahead sign, drums and flashing lights.
Home Affairs deputy Minister Cde Obedingwa Mguni said it is the standard roadblocks that have been reduced to four per province and what motorists called roadblocks along routes leading to city centres or growth points were in fact spot checks.
Giving oral evidence before a Parliamentary Portfolio committee on Transport and Infrastructural Development in Harare on Monday, the Minister of Home Affairs Dr Ignatius Chombo, who was accompanied by his deputy Cde Mguni, said as from next week the police would unveil at least four standard roadblocks per province.
HOME Affairs minister Ignatius Chombo yesterday told Parliament that government had ordered police to reduce the number of roadblocks to 40 countrywide, which translates to four per province, following a public outcry from motorists and tourists, who described the numerous vehicle checkpoints as a great inconvenience.
Chombo made the remarks after he and his deputy, Obedingwa Mguni, appeared before the Dexter Nduna-led Parliamentary Portfolio Committee on Home Affairs to speak on roadblocks, where they also disclosed that they would next month commission the integrated electronic traffic system to electronically identify defective vehicles and traffic offenders.
“Government has told the Commissioner-General of Police, Augustine Chihuri, to remove all unnecessary roadblocks and mount necessary ones,” Chombo said. “Roadblocks will be reduced to only 40 nationally before computerisation, and it means there will be four roadblocks per province unless there is a security threat or serious crime.”
The Zimbabwe National Parks and Wildlife Authority is auctioning various tourist attraction centres as it does not have resources to develop them, The Herald has learnt. The sites are dotted around the country and are commonly referred to as photographic sites. Zimparks acting spokesperson Mr Simukai Nyasha said in an interview yesterday that the auction was set for Harare.
Desired Liaison Auctioneers was hired to conduct the auction.
“An auction will be conducted in Harare on 29 June 2017 and is open to the public,” he said. “This is meant to auction photographic sites that are available in the land managed by Zimparks. These photographic sites will enable private investors to develop tourism facilities.”
Mr Nyasha said the move was meant to develop the sites and counter competition from other players.
Motorists could still be losing cash to a syndicate of bogus cops that have been mounting illegal roadblocks using spikes in Harare, as some of the culprits are still on the run and police are yet to recover the spikes and deposit fine books they are using in committing the offences.
The syndicate involves former police officers who were discharged from the force for indiscipline and dishonesty, and civilians. Police have so far arrested seven suspects in connection with impersonating police officers or alternatively possessing articles for criminal use in recent weeks.
Five of them – four being former cops and a footballer – appeared in court last week, while two more former cops yesterday appeared before Ms Barbra Chimboza.
Carrington Marasha and Farai Mupundumani are facing charges of attempted armed robbery and impersonating a police officer.
They were remanded in custody and were advised to approach the High Court for bail application. Their alleged accomplice, Munyaradzi Tivaringe, alias Goliath, is still at large.
A MAKONI-BASED policeman was last week brutally murdered by a villager following a scuffle over a $2 debt.Teurai Tsarwe (35) of Zambe Village under Chief Makoni was arrested on murder charges as defined in Section 47 of the Criminal Law (Codification and Reform) Act, Chapter 9.23.
Tsarwe, who was not represented, was not asked to plead when he appeared before Rusape provincial magistrate Mrs Elizabeth Hanzi, who advised him to apply for bail at the High Court as he was facing a very serious offence.
Prosecuting, Mrs Moreblessing Tapfumaneyi told the court that Tsarwe struck Samson Mutsunguma, a police special constabulary, several times on the head with a stone.
“On June 13 at around 5.30pm and at Zambe Village, Teurai Tsarwe assaulted Samson Mutsunguma after Tsarwe had demanded his $2 note.
SIXTEEN cases of typhoid have been reported in some parts of the country, with 14 recorded in Harare, a weekly diseases surveillance report by the Ministry of Health and Child Care has indicated.
The report covered week ending June 4. Harare City reported 14 cases, Bindura District in Mashonaland Central Province reported one case, while Murehwa District in Mashonaland East Province reported a single case as well.
According to the report, two cases, which translate to 12,5 percent of the infected, were under the age of five. Cumulatively, a total of 2 371 suspected cases of typhoid fever, 78 confirmed cases and six deaths have been recorded countrywide between January 1 and June 4, 2017.
By June 15, a total of 2 526 suspected typhoid cases, 116 confirmed cases and 10 deaths had been reported countrywide.Typhoid is an infection caused by the bacteria Salmonella typhimurium.
The bacterium lives in the intestines and bloodstream of humans. It is spread between individuals by direct contact with the faeces of an infected person. Symptoms normally begin six to 30 days after exposure to the bacteria. The two major symptoms of typhoid are fever and rash.
VETERAN musician and war veteran Cde Dickson Chingaira who died on Friday last week at a city hospital, has been declared a liberation war hero. zanu-PF secretary for administration Cde Ignatius Chombo, last night said in conferring Cde Chingaira liberation war hero status, the Politburo considered his contribution to the nation.
“Cde Dickson Chingaira has been declared a liberation war hero. He has earned this because of his works during the war and he remained consistent after the war. The nation is thankful to his contribution,” he said.
Popularly known as Cde Chinx, the iconic musician passed on at West End Hospital in Harare. He was 61. Harare province had written to the party recommending national hero status for him.
Cde Chinx battled blood cancer for some time and was in and out of hospital.He also had tried to seek help from prophets, apostolic faith churches and traditional healers without success.
GOVERNMENT has availed $2,5 million for the purchase of 100 000 set top boxes as the country gears up for the digitilisation exercise, a senior government official has said.
Set top boxes will enable television sets to receive digital signals when the country migrates from the current analogue to digital transmission.
Information, Media and Broadcasting Services permanent secretary Mr George Charamba said once the set top boxes have been distributed to the public some areas which are digital compliant will start to receive transmission.
“Government has set aside $2,5 million to bring in set top boxes and the first batch of set top boxes will be about 100 000 units. Once we have those in the country and distributed to the viewers then it means we should be able to roll out our digitilisation programme,” he said in an interview in Gweru last week.
public.co.zw is Zimbabwe online notice board, we look all over the internet for zimbabwe latest news and interesting information that affects our everyday life and pin them here.An Elitepages Project